Lorea's Famous Cornbread sausage stuffing
Published July 15, 2012
*Make the cornbread the day ahead!
(Makes one 8-inch square)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2tbsp coarsely chopped fresh sage leaves or 1 tbsp dried
Heat oven to 425 deg. Lightly oil an 8-inch square pan.
In a med. mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt
In another bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, sugar, butter, and sage. Add to dry ingredients. And stir until just combined
Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until golden brown on top, about 20 min. Remove from oven and cool for 10 min. Turn out of pan on a rack to cool completely.
Stuffing (makes 10 cups. enough for a 12-14lb. turkey)
- 1 recipe corn bread (day old)
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes either dry or packed in oil
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage casing removed
- 1/2 pound Hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 6 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage leaves or 1 tbsp dried
- 1-cup chicken stock
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- Heat oven to 35o deg.
- Cut corn bread into 3/4 inch cubes and spread evenly on a baking sheet. Toast bread, shaking pan periodically, until golden brown on the edges, about 20 minutes. Soak tomatoes in bowl of hot water until soft, about 25 min. Remove from water, drain and coarsely chop.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add sausage Cook, stirring often until there is no pink.6 to 8 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to bowl and set aside. Pour off all but 1 teaspoon of fat from the pan.
- Return pan to heat, add onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add celery and garlic and cook until celery is soft, 6-8 min.
- Combine sausage, corn bread, pine nuts, tomatoes, and sage in a large bowl and mix well. Add chicken stock and melted butter and toss to combine, Season to taste with salt and lots of pepper. Let cool completely before stuffing turkey.
- Transfer extra stuffing to a baking dish and dot with butter. Bake at 350 deg until heated through and crusty on top. About 35 min. This can be done while the turkey is roasting, if desired.